I am a little embarrassed that I have abandoned my little corner of the web the last few months, but hey, life happens right!
The last time I left off was beginning of July, so I thought I would play a little catch-up. Here are the top five things that have happened over the summer!
5. I completed my summer job as a camp counselor out in the suburbs. It was such an experience being around typically developing children all day and a nice little reminder of how delayed my hard of hearing kiddos are. I formed many great relationships with the campers and the other counselors at the camp (some I still keep in touch with). However, I won’t miss that humidity and being in the heat all day!
4. I had the privilege of flying out to San Diego at the end of July for a family reunion. It was so fun seeing my extended family and catch up with people I haven’t seen in a while. We walked on the beach, played games, talked and all around had a nice weekend. It was a fast trip, but it was worth the travel time.
3. In early July, I went out to Springfield, Illinois to go to the Abraham Lincoln presidential library. For those of you who don’t know me, I have always been fascinated with history and presidents. I was a neat experience seeing his grave and reliving his life. It was honestly one of the best presidential libraries that I have been to (and I have been to a few now).
2. I went out to California in early August to visit dear family and friends. I got to see my grandparents who I hadn’t seen since Christmas and my BFF and her family. We went to the zoo, played with puppies, watched the Olympics and chit chatted. It was a nice little get away before diving back into school commitments in the gateway city!
1. I got a cochlear implant in mid-August. The surgery went very well thanks to the top class surgeon. I was activated (turned-on) recently and am now starting on Auditory Therapy which I will continue until November. It will be a long process, but oh, it so nice to hear again after 4 months of silence. I hope to share this journey here in bloggy land one day.
And now I am back into the books. I am currently on week 4 of the semester and find my days to be very full and busy. Between student teaching and classes, I try and take time to stop and smell the roses and do me things. I know that this year is going to fly by and soon I will be a graduate maybe moving someone new. And of course, I have to give a shout out to the best classmates ever! They make this experience such a fun wild ride.
That is all for now. More coming soon!